Alma chapter 29 verse 8

Doing The Lord's Errand In Sierra Leone


A missionary blog of Elder & Sister Neves and their experiences in Sierra Leone Freetown West Africa and adjacent cities and towns in 2010 and 2011.



For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.



Monday, April 11, 2011

Coming To The End Of The Dry Season

So for this time I'm just tossing in some photos randomly and talking about the origin and what they mean to us and to me. There's no theme except for live in West Africa. I'll get back to a theme next time I undertake a posting project.

First you take a little rice grown locally or imported from China or India or Thailand. Rice is eaten with everything. Nothing gets eaten without rice underneath.

Then there are a few options, potato leaf which is cut, cassava leaf with is pounded, and my favorite, ground nut stew, also pounded. Now most people know what I like so when we go by and they want to feed us, there it is staring me in the face, waiting.

All of the gravies I've described above and a dozen more are mixed with very hot peppers and various other spices and some fish or fish heads and maybe a little chicken rarely and sometimes some cow meat.

I'm including this picture because Jared just sent me a letter telling me the calves are doing fine even though we're running out of hay in this wet spring. When I saw this little platter as we visited the Fayombos, I got homesick for my cows when they get on new green grass.

You'll notice Finda's little black fingers on the side of the bowl. Most of the eating is done with your little cupped fingers. You never have to worry what you did with the darned old spoon. When we are invited we are always given a spoon but occasionally for fun I'll let the spoon lie and use the hand.







We were watching for the rest of our baptismal candidates from the Kissy chapel on the third floor where we continue to worship. We look out on the old Kissy Road which is one of the two main routes through the east side of the capitol city.

Last week I showed a few people toting their loads but this week I couldn't pass up the sight of this steady headed lady with all her eggs. She made nary a wobble as she walked along the road.




I'm going to attempt to name the Ngegba family members you'll be seeing in the two pictures that follow. Sister Neves and Pete, our main man, are both on the right side of the photo, your right side. Further back and seated are President Ngegba and his wife.

The Ngegba's are going to the temple for the first time at the end of April. Daniela is leaning against President Ngegba's knee. She's always into mischief and causing trouble but in a cute way. She always has a big smile from ear to ear and giggles at everything. Katimu takes care of her and I think she's her little sister.

Kadiatu is directly in the center of the photo and doorway and holding her little son Robert. She's not married nor has she been. She was baptized on the 9th of April along with Katimu on her right and Mariama further to the right against the wall.

Katimu is Mariama's aunt and Mariama is Prince Ngegba's wife's sister's daughter.

Little Howa Josephene is sitting right in front of President Ngegba. They call her Howa Yu and as far as people are concerned that is her name, Howa Yu.

Safa is right in front and Mohamed on the floor  and there's Frances Kai Kai Momoh who we baptized a couple of months ago in the doorway along with Sudi and a dozen or more stretching into the sunlight as intent as can be.

We're playing, To This End Was I Born, the DVD of Jesus Christ's death and resurrection on my computer. All eyes were riveted as you can see to the screen.



Young Prince Ngegba is now visible on the left side in this photo taken a minute later and my little favorite Aminata Neves is in front almost as close to the screen as you can get. Abdul, Sister Neves' absolute favorite is further to the left with his hand on his cheek.

We usually teach outside right against the little stream under the mango trees but because we wanted to watch the DVD we came inside this newly erected mud brick room so they could see the screen. This will also give you an idea of what the insides of the homes are like although some will plaster the walls with cement.

The Ngegba's, all twenty five of them inside and out, continue to be fascinated with the DVD. This was such a gratifying moment. With my little camera at my side folks generally are not even aware that I'm taking a picture. I always carry attached for safety on a leather shoe lace around my neck and in a little belt pouch.




This is above the Ngegba country that I've just described where we watched the DVD. Mom and Pete are coming on down after teaching Solomon's sister Isata. The road is still impassible because there is not bridge across a little wash out and stream further down the road.

We walked the hillside to come to Solomon's home but then found ourselves in a little trouble trying to come off the hillside down to the road. The neighborhood had been working on the road to make it ready for motocar but they failed to preserve or reinstall steps down to the road suitable for old white people.

We just had to jump down off small steps cut into the bank but they were not much help. After I hit the road I just about lost it because of the incline even though Pete was there with a hand. I held Sister Neves' hand and Pete helped her from below and it was done with Sister Neves.

All of the road work on the still unusable road has been done absolutely by hand with a pick and shovel and nothing mechanical. I'd hate to take the truck even when the bridge is in but I think it could be done.

The man with the sticks just walked down off the top of the mountain where he's collected them to make a few cents to be able to feed the family. The sticks must weigh a couple of hundred pounds but he was cheerful and happy to speak to us for a minute about what he'd been doing and where he'd come from with the sticks, which is close to where the mission home is located.

These homes have all been built without the help of trucks or tractors or anything mechanical. Everything has been carried up by hand well beyond the point where you can see the road fade into the distance which is the closest delivery point for materials.




When we came down Adama, Kadiatu, and Mohamed were here pretending to be sleeping so they could  scare me as I went by. The little sweethearts have as much fun in their hearts as any of my grandchildren at home.

They always call out to us and run and hold our hands as we walk on down another half hour to the truck. The truck could be driven almost to this point but we don't because we feel it creates a bad impression. We just park way down below and walk and see the people and they us.

The grandma whose feet you can see sits here and today was making little bundles of tabaca for chewing  which she sells for little pennies for food. She is always bundling something or doing something to make a little money, never idle. Her husband was coming from the mosque and I met and hugged him just after taking this picture.

The house pictured shelters all twelve members of the extended family and occasionally I'll see someone new who will stay for a day or two.

Elder Neves cared for by Gibril and Agusta live directly across the road from from this picture was taken. I wish there were a way to bring Adama and Kadiatu home with us when we leave in seven and a half months.



This is Sister Neves and my church benches on the side of the chapel where the children all cluster and join us. Sometimes they are a little noisy but generally very good. Albert is sitting on the end with his head bowed and Ali is speaking to him. Albert's sister is next to him. I'll name all the children in the next day or so.



We went to see Helen and Charles and the happy family on Mt. Aureol and while there the kids said, "We just had two little babies born. Would you like to go see them"? These two ladies had just given birth in the night.

They were sitting up for the picture and for us and I told them to lie back down. They were doing so as I snapped the photo.



Me acting silly and showing the good shirt now worn out and torn and holey after being used and washed regularly. I'll write some more about this and where this is taken.




As you can see I have to do my own laundry. This is on the hill in Mount Aureol by the house where the babies were born as shown in the earlier picture.



Finally a picture of your new grandfather.This is the man who joined us at the Stevenson's compound and was so taken with Sister Neves after we advised the people and prayed. Read the Especially for Little Young Neves letter for more information about this photo.

You can see the bombed out stair case to the right and remnants of the fence in the back. Sister Neves enjoyed this moment more than she shows, the little wild devil.





I recently wrote to the family about the nativity sets I'd like to bring home to the seven families. You'll note the figures with the red wood and the brown lighter wood on the left. I'll just get some of the lighter wood and some of the red wood unless I hear from each of you about your specific preference.



No comments: